Frequently Asked Questions

No. In order to change the name on your deed, a new deed must be prepared. The Recorder of Deeds Office is unable to provide legal advice or opinions and we do not have blank forms. Additionally, paperwork must be fully completed and notarized before bringing it to our office to record.

We strongly recommend going to a title company or a real estate attorney to have a deed prepared. The document must be prepared and notarized before bringing it to our office to record. The Recorder of Deeds Office cannot assist you in completing this document.

We accept cash, check and money order. Please make check payable to Effingham County Recorder.

A fee schedule is available on our main page.

You can mail in an original document for recording. Be sure to include where you want the document returned to after recording, a check in the exact amount of the recording and mail these to:

Effingham County Recorder
101 N. Fourth St., Suite 201
PO Box 628
Effingham IL 62401

  • Real Estate Transfer Declaration or exemption stamp is missing from deed.
  • Fees are incorrect.
  • Legal description is missing or incomplete
  • Name and address of preparer is missing.
  • Notary signature or seal is missing.
  • Document is not dated or signed.
  • All PTAX 203 forms must be completed in MyDec.
  • Name and address of where to mail tax bill to is missing.
  • References to document numbers or book/page is missing or incorrect.
  • Legal description is not Effingham County.
  • Legal descriptions are not accepted using the Supervisor of Assessments information.

The document is reviewed for statutory requirements and appropriate fees are collected. Documents are then recorded in a timely manner in the order received. Recording consists of assigning a document number, date and time to the instrument being recorded, scanning, indexing and verifying the instrument so that it may become a permanent record. Documents are returned within 2-5 business days.

You can request a copy from our office in person, by mail or use Tapestry. If you are requesting by mail, please enclose a check for the correct amount.

Each time ownership of property is transferred, whether through a sale or gift, a new deed form is prepared, signed, notarized and recorded in our office. If the transfer is a sale of property for $100 or more, a PTAX 203 must be completed and must accompany the deed for recording purposes of collecting transfer taxes based upon the sale price. If gifting property, the transfer is exempt from transfer taxes and the deed must contain the appropriate exemption paragraph. Deeds must qualify as being exempt from transfer taxes for various statutory reasons.

Exemption List

No. To ensure that a property is free of liens a title company must be contacted. They will be able to do a full title search on the real estate and issue a title insurance policy or a letter report.

In order to obtain a lien, pay off amount you must contact the lien holder. We do not have pay off amounts.

Your question may be answered by contacting an attorney. We are not attorneys and are unable to give legal advice.

Contact the Illinois Department of Revenue, State Tax Lien Unit. 217-785-5299.

If it is due to a small business/self-employment tax lien, call 1-800-913-6050. In the case of a wage/income tax lien, call 1-800-829-7640

No. The mortgage company, bank or Recorder of Deeds does not hold the original deed until the mortgage is paid off. The original deed is recorded in our office and returned to the name and address indicated on the document. If you cannot find your original deed we can provide you with a copy.

We can record almost anything. However not everything should be recorded. Please keep in mind when presenting a document for recording that it will become almost immediately available for public inspection in our office and online. The only documents in our office that are not available for public inspection are military discharge documents. Additionally, please keep in mind that recording a document does not make it legal or binding. If you have any questions regarding the legality of a document you need to seek the advice of an attorney.

No. The Recorder of Deeds does not at any time report anything to any of the 3 credit bureaus. Credit bureaus hire independent searchers and third party providers to gather data from public records.

Review your deed; some easements will be referred to in the legal description on your deed. Look at your subdivision plat; if the subdivision is not too old some easements may be shown on the plat. Call the utility company; they may come out and mark their easements for you. Contact a title company or an independent searcher to perform a search for easements. They charge a fee but will provide you with a comprehensive report.

No. You can contact the assessor’s office and they can provide you with the year the property was first assessed with a house on it.

The documents contained in our office date back as far as the 1833. Although the Recorder of Deeds cannot do genealogy research for you, we do encourage you to visit our office and research your family name using our indexes. Our knowledgeable and friendly customer service staff will point you in the right direction to get you started. Our documents are open for public inspection Monday thru Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

No, you must acquire a copy of your deed in order to obtain the legal description.

Lot size cannot be given over the phone. If your lot is located in a newer subdivision you may want to take a look at your subdivision plat. You can also view the Effingham County Parcel map from the Assessor Parcel Inquiry at https://effinghamil.devnetwedge.com/. If you have any questions in regards to property lines, you may need to seek the advice of a professional surveyor.

No, we can provide you with a copy of your deed or subdivision plat. Additional assistance can be provided by a professional land surveyor.